The role of the president under EPRDF
October 8, 2013
As we all know, EPRDF follows the policy of ethnic federalism, which will have dire consequences for the country in the future. Ethnic federalism is a symbolic division of power based on race. Presidential position has been assigned for the Oromo ethnic group as we have seen it for the last 23 years.
Now Ethiopia is having a new president in Dr Mulatu Teshome, who was born in 1955/56 in Arjo town, Wollega. There is no need of competency to take power in EPRDF era. The only thing the elect has to do is to serve loyally for the TPLF members. Even though EPRDF believes that power is divided fairly among all four ethnic-based parties that make up the EPRDF, the presidential position is nothing more than presenting flower bouquets to foreign dignitaries that come to the country. The job of presenting flowers is in accordance with EPRDF constitution’s Article 71.
The president does not have influence in the politics of the country. So, I don’t think he will work hard for change even in his piety power rather than being puppet for the next 6 years and 6 more years(unless political change engulfs Ethiopia or natural disasters come to his house) like his predecessors. I am afraid that Dr Mulatu has become a volunteer to serve the Weyanna gangsters, despite his scholarship and hailing from the majority Oromo
For a better understanding, here’s what a president does under the surveillance of the EPRDF bosses:
Powers and Functions of the President
1. He shall open the joint session of the House of Peoples’ Representatives and the House of the Federation at the commencement of their annual sessions.
2. He shall proclaim in the Negarit Gazeta laws and international agreements approved by the House of Peoples’ Representatives in accordance with the Constitution.
3. He shall, upon recommendation by the Prime Minister, appoint ambassadors and other envoys to represent the country abroad.
4. He shall receive the credentials of foreign ambassadors and special envoys.
5. He shall award medals, prizes and gifts in accordance with conditions and procedures established by law.
6. He shall, upon recommendation by the Prime Minister and in accordance with law, grant high military titles.
7. He shall, in accordance with conditions and procedures established by law, grant pardon.
posted by Daniel tesfaye